Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Setting Things In Motion

I realized at this point that sales just wasn't where I wanted to be and my real passion was in business development and the only way that I knew how to do that was through technology. I was a business major at the University of Louisville with an emphasis in Computer Information Systems, so I had all of the necessary tools to get my new vision rolling... But first, I had to get out of sales....

That week I called a meeting with my previous two bosses who had been very good to me throughout the 3 1/2 years that I had been working with them and discussed the options of coming back to MIS. It seemed to be feasible and they said they would love to have me back and would do everything they could to move me back to that side of the company. After that meeting I met with my current boss at the time and sat down and discussed with him my feelings and told him that I no longer enjoyed working on the sales side of the company and that it just wasn't really my thing. I had a much stronger connection with the development front and if at all possible would like to move back. I also indicated at that very time that I would likely not be staying with the company after graduation...

Within one week I was moved back to the MIS department and was placed on a team where I could be the most productive without tying myself into the company too much long term.

Outside of work, I buckled down for about 2 straight weeks churning out tid bits of code and attempting to write an application. However, I started realizing just how difficult and time consuming the process was.... All the time, while I was doing this, in the back of my head I had been thinking bigger and bigger. My initial thoughts were, I'll write iPhone applications and make money selling my own applications... why not, I mean all of my friends were on board. They were all interested in helping, but why not go bigger...

Graduation was soon approaching and I had not written any applications that could be distributed or even really thought out a business plan other than I was in this for the long haul no matter what. With the recent realization that the development process for iPhone applications was much more difficult than what I was accustomed I started focusing my attention elsewhere, on bigger prospects...

At this point I had determined in my head that if I were able to put together a company that could handle all of this in between process that people have to deal with between an idea and apple, the company would thrive. There are literally millions of people out there with great ideas that could be monetized very easily if they could just bring those ideas to life.

It was at that point that everything came together for me...


No comments:

Post a Comment