Tuesday, January 26, 2010

My New Plan

After I finally decided what I wanted to do in life and had a new idea I had to start laying some ground work. The first thing that I started doing was research. I started getting information about phone pricing, development statistics, looking at the process for applying, looking at the languages required to code for mobile applications, what all was required... it all seemed very overwhelming but I just started trying to knock it out piece by piece.

It's probably noteworthy to mention that it has probably been about 2 months now and I was closing in on mid August.

The first thing that I did was choose a platform, at the time iPhone seemed to be dominating the market and had just released there new iPhone 3Gs so it seemed to be the most logical choice. After I settled on the platform I decided that I probably should have one if I wanted to do any application development so I buckled down and went and purchased the newest model. This was a big leap for me, because until this point I had been leaching off my dad's company cell phone plan and not paying any bills. However, it was around this same time that dad decided that I needed to get off of his policy and get onto my own so it seemed that all signs were pointing to this being the right direction for me.

Now that I had the phone I had to start figuring out how to actually use it and what the process was for getting an app on the market. This proved to be a much more expensive endeavor than I had anticipated. Apparently Apple has attempted to lock down the platform so much so that in order to develop iPhone application you have to own a Mac and also must sign up for their developer program. (At the time I was unaware that you could develop on a PC using the MONO platform, but hindsight is always 20/20 and I am happy with my Mac purchase.) So the next thing that I did was scan ebay day in and day out for about a month until I finally came across a sweet Mac Mini that was fully spec'd out and had a great variety of software and graphics editing tools, including the entire Adobe Master collection. I ended up purchasing the system for 700 dollars. In addition to the system I had signed up for all of the necessary developer accounts and such with Apple so that I could gain access to their developer resources.

Finally after much time and set up and frustration I got the machine, had the phone, had the necessary affiliations with Apple and the only thing that was now holding me back from publishing an application to the Apple store was having a Developer License to do so and actually having written an application. This lead me to start rethinking my career decisions. At this time I had moved from being a full on application developer into a sales roll where I had little or no affiliation with coding or developers at all outside of what I was doing on my own at home. This lead to the first real drastic move that I made that really set things into action....

No comments:

Post a Comment